Parting is such sweet ‘sorrow’
Just the finishing touches left to do…
Balsa wood doors were drybrushed with a dark brown paint (over a black undercoat), window frames were painted in a greyish/brown shade. Window sills were made from thin card ( to cover up the corruguated card showing beneath) these were then painted in the same colour as the window frames.
Steps were made for the tower and church ‘front’ from balsa wood. These were also painted in the same colour as mentioned above. The tiled roofs of the church ‘front’, workshop, tower and gatehouse were drybrushed with white .With regards to the tower, I’d previously added four circular pieces of balsa wood where the clock should be. This is where I wanted to print out clock faces and stick these on these place holders. It didn’t take me long to find some suitable old looking clock faces on the Internet. These were re-sized, printed, cut out and glued in place. These were then covered in PVA glue to protect them and also give them a glossy finish.
Oh, almost forgot to let you know how I added the domed church roof cross. I’m going to have to rewind a few updates for this…probably way back before the domed roof and octagonal roof were glued together.
First, I cut two thin strips from wooden wargame bases and glued these in place. Once dry, I cut a whole on the top of the domed roof and also one one end of a wine cork. Gluing the cork to the inside of the domed roof gave me somewhere to support the cross and stop it wobbling about. Once the cork was in place, the cross was threaded, glued down with super glue and then polyfilla used to fill gaps.
The last step was to make bases for all the buildings as these would give some added protection. Due to the massive hoard of cardboard that I’d amassed over the past month or so, I found some suitably strong pieces, cut these up and glued the buildings down. Small weights and rubber bands were needed to make sure that the buildings were secured in place. once dry the bases were covered in sand and the bases of the rural walls were painted brown.
All complete. Well….not quite! I still wasn’t happy with the tall city walls. Therefore, I’d probably re-spray these to match the colour of the workshop, church ‘front’ and tower at a later date. Overall I’m really happy with what I’ve made over the past month or so. However, not as happy as my wife’s going to be though. She’s going to be over the moon that there won’t be bags and boxes of cardboard, pots of paint and newspaper all over the place.
No sooner had the paint dried on these buildings and scenery that I took them to my great games club Mos Isca to use them in a massive Lasalle game – Oporto. I also donated them to the club, hence the “parting is such sweet sorrow” sub heading.
It’s been worth it. The buildings did their job, and the only money spent on these was for the following items:
Polyfilla, grey spraypaint, brown spraypaint, PVA glue.
Roughly costing £13. Not bad at all!
Final photos of the scenery (taken at the club). One last post will follow this (at a later date) showing the re-painted city walls. Hope some of this has inspired you to have a go at building cheap scenery yourself. :0)
P.s as a footnote I have to credit the following sites:
Pepachal: http://members2.jcom.home.ne.jp/milk-pot/index.htm and Haunted Dimensions: http://www.haunteddimensions.raykeim.com/index101.html
for the templates to both the church and tower. Whilst I added my own touches to the buildings, I certainly cant claim credit for the concept of these. However, the workshop building, rural walls, gatehouse, town walls, roof tiles, doors & windows were all my own designs. Phew, I feel better now :0)
P.p.s Oporto battle (Lasalle scenario playtest) with photos coming soon.